Saturday, September 10, 2011

Obscura Antiques and Oddities

There is a little store in the East Village, 10th Street between Avenues A and 1st, called Obscura Antiques and Oddities. My brother introduced me to the place when I first moved here in June, and the whole collection continues to fascinate me.

Obscure is a great way to describe the place. It's like a giant walk-in closet full of junk you threw in there and forgot about- if you were a mad scientist. Old books and pamphlets, stuffed animals bearing their sharp teeth, human skeletons and mummified heads, rosaries and all sorts of other things are piled in this small and narrow treasure trove, if I may call it that. Long and narrow and very cluttered, it's generally run by an old lady, who fits right in with all the crazy merchandise.

I love this store because there are so many strange things to look at and wonder about. You never know what you are going to see there, and chances are you will never see them somewhere else. Take a look at the pictures I took, and then go take a look yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment