Friday, February 10, 2012

Vintage Valentines



There is this wonderful little store near my new apartment that specializes in old art prints and more modern works of art. Located on Lexington Ave. between 29th and 30th Streets, The Old Print Shop offers dozens if not hundreds of antiquarian maps, 18th and 19th century prints, satirical works of art, photography, and various other vintage art prints. It also offers beautiful work done by contemporary artists.

This store has been up and running since 1898 unbelievably, with its first location at Fourth Ave. between 9th and 10th Streets. It has been on Lexington Ave. since 1925. The Old Print Shop has historically focused on important art it believes the public has overlooked, and was instrumental in growing 19th century American painting and primitive art and sculpture collections in the 1940s and 50s.

While the entire store is a great treasure trove to dig through some Saturday afternoon, The Old Print Shop is displaying and selling an especially cool collection of artwork right now: vintage valentines, honoring the upcoming romantic holiday this Tuesday.


No one so sweet, : No one so true, : In all the Earth : There is none like you.

Hundreds of beautifully-crafted and ornate little Valentine's Day cards are waiting for you to sift through and marvel at them. Spanning the Victorian era up through the 1950s and 60s, there is a huge variety in terms of style and quality. Some are just gorgeous designs but with no written words; others are both artful and poetic, expressing feelings of love, romance and happiness.


Star of my Heart : I miss thee each lone hour, : Star of my heart! : No other voice hath power : Joy to impart! : I listen for thy hasty step, : Thy kind sweet tone...

I was drawn in to this seasonal sale by the store's window display, where several of the cards were featured. When I walked in to check them out, I had no idea there would be so many to admire. I fell in love with several, but unfortunately could not afford to buy any of them. Instead I settled on a card that wasn't quite so rare or vintage, but that still had an image I loved: the profile of an 18th-century French woman with gigantically tall hair. Cupid is sitting in front with his bow at the ready, as if her hair is a conquering army and cupid is the vanguard.



The image is paired with an interesting poetic phrase: Fair tresses man's imperial race ensnare, and beauty draws us with a single hair.

I was so captivated by both the image and the words, I had to buy this. It was also really cheap in comparison to the others, so that helped too. While relatively small, I'm hoping to frame it and hang it in my room someday soon.

If you're looking to see something totally new, rare and interesting in your Valentine's Day shopping this year, check out The Old Print Shop. I have a feeling I'm going to be checking out this place more than once.

No comments:

Post a Comment